Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Seven

Lust. Gluttony. Greed. Sloth. Wrath. Envy. Pride. The 7 deadly sins. And I dont care who you are, at some point or the other each one of us has exhibited these traits, whether we want to admit it or not. Its manifestation might have been blatant, it may even have been oh so subtle. The fact is that they lurk somewhere deep within everyone.

Take for example our maid, who today suddenly realised that we were moving out of our place earlier than she expected. Before I could even blink she had started collecting newspapers so that she could sell them off for scrap. Having just woken up from a late night, my still fuzzy brain was scrambling like a soldier running to his battle station on hearing the alarms of an incoming air raid. Before I knew it, she was walking in and out of rooms casting an eye on what she felt was valuable enough to take. I had to tell her to leave half the stuff that she had collected thinking that we would be disposing of them. In the one and a half years that she worked for us, I swear that I had never seen her move as quickly as she did today. Of course, the holier than thou attitude in you will point an accusatory finger at me saying "What the f*** is your problem? She's not doing anything wrong, after all she's just trying to make the best of the situation'. Point taken except for the fact that you didnt see the gleam in her eyes which had the 3rd deadly sin written all over them.

No comments: