Friday, December 21, 2012

Good things

They say good things eventually happen to good people (Warning: I’m taking extreme creative liberties to the extent of stretching the truth by classifying myself as one of the good people here….)


Now 2012 hasn’t been the most electric of years, even by my not too elevated standards. There was a bit of office travel to foreign lands, a few memorable weddings, one huge family get together, a massive inter-state bike trip, the rediscovery of my passion for guitar playing (matched only by my complete lack of guitar playing skills and even worse voice), an absolutely epic cosmic scrabble session and a whole lot more. Ok, so you’re comparing your 2012 to mine and thinking 'Man he did all that in 11 1/2 months and he says he hasn’t had a great year ....' but let’s not go there.


Now I’ve been reading superhero comics for nearly two decades (Batman, Superman, Spiderman, Thor, Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Deadpool, Wonder Woman, JLA, Fantastic Four and any other character / group you can name) and I’m probably the biggest comic book nerd around. Well what can I say, looks are deceiving. This year in the middle of another ridiculous 16+ hour daily work routine week I received party arranging phone calls from some truly wonderful friends (who aren’t even reading this blog, ok wait I take back the nice bit) regarding my birthday. With that work routine I barely had enough strength to whip myself up a very late dinner before crawling into bed every night and I knew I wouldn’t have the time or energy to celebrate my birthday which fell on a weekday. Besides turning 25 wasn’t a big deal anyway.


Fortunately they wouldn’t take no as an answer and I said to myself, what the hell, I should try my luck and asked for a theme cake - a Green Lantern one. Keep in mind that I never have been a birthday person. Fast forward to a few days later and all my worries about a massive client submission, the lack of meaningful content, the piling pressure from everyone due to the lack of content all vanished as the clock struck 12 and I saw the cake. Like a little kid looking under the Christmas tree and finding the gift that he had asked Santa for, I just stood there speechless. It didn’t matter that Didi's cake tasted much better (character introduction : Didi - My twin from the other end of the country who arrived into this world all of 2 minutes before me. We celebrated our birthday together this year). It didn’t matter that 1/27th of the cake found its way into my ears and nose and I suspect some of it is still lodged in there. In fact for the rest of the day nothing mattered as I had a smile plastered on my face. Best. Birthday. Cake. Ever. (Sorry Mom!)


And so for the first time I’m looking forward to my next birthday. I think I'll have a Flash birthday cake. Like the one below. So what if I will have to wait for another 11 months for a good thing to happen....

3 comments:

Nefertiti said...

awww...
happy birthday!!! and I missed it. the pics made me sooooo jealous. and here I am, spending my birthday alone :(

happy 25th!

Neil D'souza said...

It was memorable to say the least! Have you ever thought of shifting to Bangalore?

Nefertiti said...

Like I have told you a million times, find me a job, and I shall be there!